Loss Leaders

Monday, April 10, 2006

Look What I Found in My Garage: Morphine




So I've finally found the system that I think will help me keep my cds organized. (Bold proclimation I know!) So as I've been getting some cds out of the deep storage...I've come across some truly wonderful music. Every day for a while I will post songs from some of my favorite bands that are now shaking off the cobwebs and dust bunnies.

First up:

Morphine, the Boston-based trio was an anomoly in rock n roll: a guitar-less band that kicked butt. All Music Guide praised the album Cure for Pain thusly: "unquestionably one of the best and most cutting-edge rock releases of the '90s." The band's music is best described as noir-ish, like the soundtrack to a series of Edward Hopper paintings. (Like this, this and this. These are two of my favorite Morphine songs. The album's title track is one of my top 10 songs of all time. Perhaps their best album, "Cure for Pain" is the best beginning point in discovering a great band.

Cure for Pain is a song about redemption, fulfillment and the crutches we use on the way there.
Mary Won't You Call My Name has some of the best use of rhythm in lyrics. The song tells a story with poetics, passion and a building pace.

1 Comments:

  • I feel VERY fortunate I was able to see Morphine three times prior to Sandman's death.

    There needs to be a resurgence in the interest in their music. Your post could be the beginning.

    By Blogger Satisfied '75, at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home