Loss Leaders

Friday, April 14, 2006

Look What I Found in My Garage: (Good) Beatles covers




Round four:

Ok so the George Harrison posting got me thinking about Beatle's covers. There are some great ones out there. Heresy you say??? True, there aren't any that improve on the originals but I offer these songs to you as the best Beatles covers I know...

Listen to these great Beatles covers:

She's Leaving Home Harry Nilsson recorded this version ten days after the release of Sgt. Pepper's. His debut record was supposedly loved by the band.
We Can Work it Out -- this (Little) Steve Wonder version is perhaps the best Beatles cover EVER!
Yesterday -- Ok this Marvin Gaye cover is much sexier than virtually anything the Bealtes ever recorded. This has to be considered one of the best too.
With a Little Help From My Friends Ok so this version by George Burns is terrible...but you can't hate on God can you???
Norweigan Wood -- I'm sure this will be controversial... but I prefer the PM Dawn version to the Cornershop version which you can hear here: Norweigan Wood

React: Tell me about your favorite Beatles cover in the comments!

4 Comments:

  • I'd have to say that my favorite Beatles cover ever is Bill Shatner's version of "Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds."

    And i was pretty partial to the Damned's version of "Help!" back in the day.

    oh - just found this:

    http://www.ripthemusic.com/beatles%20covers.htm

    Big Daddy's Buddy Hollyesque cover of Day in The Life is pretty funny...

    By Blogger 7-how-7, at 2:09 PM  

  • I like the Bobby Darin medleys too...not sure if I'd put them in the "best of" but I like even the weird ones, aka Billy Shatner...

    :-)

    By Blogger JT Griffith, at 2:22 PM  

  • Oh I'll post some more too...I have a reggae favorite...and Nina Simone has done a rad George Harrison cover (My Sweet Lord)

    By Blogger JT Griffith, at 2:23 PM  

  • YES! Elliott's version is incredble. No doubt.

    By Blogger JT Griffith, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home