Loss Leaders

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Look What I Found in My Garage: George Harrison's unreleased songs!



Round three:

The first band that I wanted to dust off all my old records and get on the shelf first was the Beatles (followed by the Beach Boys and Buddy Holly -- I'm in a back to the beginning mood these days!). I bought this cd at record surplus for like $8. Crazy!

Did you know that George Harrison's 1981 album Somewhere in England was first rejected by Warner Brothers!?! George Harrison released some of the rejected songs on a very limited edition (2500 copies) cd and vinyl EP called Songs by George Harrison on his own Dark Horse label to coincide with a book of the same name which was out around the time of "Cloud Nine."

I reviewed Songs by George Harrison for All Music Guide when I was a contributor to their fine encyclopedia:

"This limited-edition CD was released in 1987 and includes songs unavailable on any other commercially available disc. "Sat Singing," "Lay His Head," and "Flying Hour" were all written for the LP Somewhere in England but were rejected by Warner Brothers. After being bootlegged for years, this is the first and only appearance of these songs on an official release, making this one of the essential additions to any serious Beatles or George Harrison collection. An additional song from the same sessions, "Tears of the World," remains unreleased, raising the question of when a Harrison box set might be produced. The fourth track is a mono version of "For You Blue," a different version of which most recently appeared on the Beatles' Anthology 3. Songs By George Harrison is remarkable and the songs are classic Harrison."

Amazingly these tracks were not included on the recent collection of all of George's solo records: The Dark Horse Years 1976-1992.

Listen to 4 "unreleased" songs by George Harrison:

Sat Singing
Lay His Head
For You Blue
Flying Hour

FYI: George is my favorite Beatle ... who is yours?

2 Comments:

  • George is my favorite as well. He has that bizarre blend of transcendence and vulnerability that so few artists capture.

    By Blogger Dave Rawkblog, at 10:04 AM  

  • John is my favorite Beatle and was instrumental as an inspiration for my own musical endeavors. You can listen to the sound of a 1972 Martin D-28 (one of the acoustic guitars The Beatles were famous for using around the time of Norwegian Wood) on my website www.piscesbooks.com. Specifically, listen to 4 & 20 Lifetimes by me on this page:http://www.piscesbooks.com/pages/2/index.htm. Let me know what you think!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home