Loss Leaders

Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Oscars? Tonight? Does LA Care ...?



I get pissed off by generalities like this in the Chris Ayers weblog: "most Angelinos care about only one thing: getting into the right parties on Sunday night." WHAT? I disagree chap, I think most Angelinos hate rerouting their lives so blocks and blocks of their fair city are shut down starting 21 days before Oscar night to prevent al-Qaeda from blowing up Tom Cruise or Rachel Weisz. Most Angelinos don't have an Oscar expense account and don't get invited to anything more than a co-worker's Oscar party (um where was my invite this year?? I got the tux out and everything!) Me, I will be working during the Oscars as KCRW's "The Open Road" does not take a pit stop for any award's show.

THAT being said ... the Oscars are the ONLY award ceremony I care about. My first Oscar memory is of the show being on way past my bed time and my mom being very excited when she saw a star she cared about (Dianne Keaton, Fred Astaire, Johnny Carson, etc.). Her reaction to each of the winners (it may have been the Annie Hall Oscars) instilled in me a feeling that the Oscars celebrated some sort of artistic royalty. The Grammys are certifiably bullshit and meaningless (ignoring the Arcade Fire? Death Cab? Oh please...!) and the Emmys, do they even televise the Emmys anymore? The Oscars are LIVE in West Coast have the coolest trophy, the potential for the best speeches: Tom Hanks' or Bob Dylan's

So I'll be watching the Oscars on the TV in my SUV while I drink my haf-caf soy vanilla latte as I talk on the phone with my agent to decide, if arriving late, should I go to the Vanity Fair party first or Sir Elton's ... Damn! It always comes down to the gift bag. And you know Elton doesn't fool around with that! See you there. Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home